Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mexican Rice

What the heck are beans without rice. This rice, this rice is one of my most favorite foods in the whole world and I am eating some while I type this so be jealous (the rice from the picture)! My Mom and my Nana always used the same pot to make the rice...this jacked up green pot with no handle or cover, they use a Marie Calendars pie pan to cover it while it cooked. This rice is fuss, you actually need to pay attention to it while it cooks or you will (as we all have done) burn it. And my Nana gave us our share of burnt rice. This just comes with years of practice, making good, non burnt, fluffy rice. I can remember standing over the stove stirring the rice to brown it and smelling it. The smell of the rice cooking and getting browned is my favorite smell in the whole wide world! My Nana or my Mom for that matter never used measurements for this dish...it's made by just adding enough of this and that. But lucky for you I broke it down.

When you are making this rice made sure to boil water on the side, the trick to making this a fluffy rice is adding hot water to it. Then if you have ever had my Nana's rice you have surely eaten a piece of chicken bullion (or Knorr Suiza), so instead of adding the bullion into the pot dissolve it in the measuring cup with the hot water before pouring it in. You will thank me later.


Browned rice with white onions

Rice with tomatoes added and liquid reduced

Rice with water and chicken bullion, let this come to a boil before covering

15 minutes later!

Your rice!

2 cups long grain white rice (or I like to just Jasmine Rice)
2 TBS cooking oil
¼ medium white onion
2 small size tomatoes (grated) or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
4cups boiling water
4 tsp chicken bullion

  • The ratio is one cup of rice to 2 cups of water.
  • Remember to grate the to tomatoes before you start cooking.
  • Chicken Bullion advise...use the Knorr brand.
  • While the rice is cooking I like to add a little bit of yellow chiles and cilantro.
  • This is a side dish.

  1. In small pot sauté 2 cups rice with 2 TBS oil and diced onion.
  2. Cook until lightly brown (brown rice on high, watching it carefully).
  3. While you are browning rice boil the 4 cups of water.
  4. Add grated tomatoes to browning rice and reduce liquid (reduce heat to low).
  5. Add the 4 tsp of chicken bullion to the 4 cups of boiling water, add to rice.
  6. Stir while it comes to a full boil. Once boiling cover and bring heat to medium
  7. Let cook for 15 minutes, or unlit the rice is no longer wet.
Extra help:

Grated tomatoes

Yellow Chile

This is the chicken bullion you should always use when cooking here!

Here's to some good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment