5 Tomatoes (or two 14.5 oz cans of peeled diced unsalted tomatoes)
½ white onion diced
1 garlic clove
½ bushel of cilantro
1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup rice (for the soup)
1/3 cup rice (for the meat)
2 Anaheim roasted and peeled chilies
1 yellow roasted and peeled chilies
Salt, pepper & garlic powder to meat to taste
5 level teaspoon Knorr Suiza (chicken bullion)
1. Grate Tomatoes (if you are using canned no need to grate)
2. Blend onions, garlic, cilantro and chilies (blend tomatoes with this)
3. Add mixer to pot add 1teaspoon oil to sauté for 2 minutes
4. Add 10 cups water (enough to make caldo)
5. Let boil (while waiting for it to boil make meatballs)
6. mix meat, egg and rice
7. Mix well and then make the meatballs
8. While soup is boiling add the meat balls and then lower heat
9. Cover and let cook for 45minute - 1hour on medium heat
9. When the rice is done the soup is ready
- For extra filling you can add diced carrots and potatoes.
- If you have extra soup left over and the meat is gone use add some tortillas strips, avocado and a little jack cheese and you have a great tortilla soup!
- This recipe will make the soup medium spicy, when I make it for my kids (who love it) I only use one Anaheim chile.